Pages

Monday, May 7, 2018

MDA Walk 2018

This past weekend, we attended the annual Muscular Dystrophy Association Walk of Omaha, NE. An incredible event where families and their support groups can get together and walk for those with Muscular Dystrophy. And as always, it never disappoints! Well, except for the fact that the people our supporters were walking for were late getting there! Our GPS took us into a residential neighborhood and the walk was located in a park. So, not the right place obviously! Such is life people!



Kolter's Krew - MDA Walk 2018 - Omaha, NE

My favorite part of the walk this year was the "caregiver" pin that was distributed. The MDA organizers handed out pins to those with Muscular Dystrophy. Those individuals were then asked to find their caregivers, hand them a pin, and give them their thanks for their care and love. I am not an emotional kind of lady, but I was definitely caught off guard and emotional having my baby give his Daddy and I our caregiver pins. I loved this part of the walk and have placed my pin on my sun visor in my car as a reminder of this weekend. When things get tough and we feel we can not do this anymore, this pin will serve as a reminder of why we do what we do!




In the months prior to the walk, we began fundraising for our team, Kolter's Krew. The previous year we were Team Kolter but I thought, why not have a catchy team name? Thus, Kolter's Krew was born! We went all out this year and made a t-shirt design to sell for those wanting to support Kolter. The shirts were super stressful for me to keep everything straight and organized with who ordered what. I loved all the support but I am slightly irresponsible so it is always challenging for me to keep anything straight on a normal day! However, when the shirts came, all the orders matched up and they turned out fantastic! So, I guess I did a good job this round. Will keep you posted on my next "Julie needs to be responsible for this" run. Along with the t-shirt orders, we received numerous monetary donations.


And let me tell you, people are so amazing! I had people ordering shirts and giving donations that I had no idea who they were! To be approached by someone and have them tell you how amazing your child is, how proud of him they are, and how much they wished they could help more; there are no words really. My friends tell me all the time that I know everyone so it is rare for someone to walk up to me and me not recognize them. But, this little six year old is impacting people all across the country folks and it is so wonderful!


We had several people join us for the walk which was great! We also had many people send pictures wearing their shirts which I loved seeing! From Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo to a race track in Iowa, we had lots of love and support! We were able to spend a few hours with family and friends celebrating this life we've been given. And on days like Saturday, what we've been given is such a gift. The gift of support, the gift of walking, the gift of his laughter, the gift of him living and breathing! There are not many gifts you can keep opening everyday so we'll keep opening them for as long as we can!



Much love,
Mdmom

No comments:

Post a Comment