Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2018

"Committed"

We're all committed to something right? Our spouse, children, jobs, bills, friends, family, pets, the list goes on.

The word committed has been on my mind the last two days. As I finish this crazy week (and next week isn't looking any better), I reflect on everything I'm committed too. Which led me to write down every commitment I currently have. And when I did, I found something missing.

My hope after reading the next chapter in hisgiftsofmusculardystrophy, you too will be able to evaluate your commitments and find that missing piece for yourself.

Within my home, I'm committed to my spouse, Kolter, our lizard, our cat, and everything that makes a house a home such as the utilities. Also in this category I would put family members and friends; mom, dad, sister, brother, grandparents, etc.

Within my job, I'm committed to my students, my supervisors, the programs I develop and teach, my customers, and the food I prepare.

Within my community, I'm committed to the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) and its advocacy and fundraising efforts, Valley Hope, AA meetings, being a Sponsor, the Deaf and Hard of Hearing advocacy and support efforts, SEE (signing exact english) sign language classes, The Salvation Army, the American Red Cross as a DAT (disaster action team) member, Susie's Christmas Wish, my crew and my patient as an EMT, bible study, Special Olympics, becoming a MDA Summer Camp counselor, making quilts for people, and volunteering my time whenever/wherever I'm needed.

On paper, I see a whole lot of commitment. However, nowhere on this list do you see the word "me, myself, and I." Why is that? Why is it that I have enough time for anyone and anything listed or not listed above, but no time for "me, myself, and I?"

Why is it that I will get out of bed at 3:00 a.m. to help someone who has fallen and then chooses not to go to the hospital for treatment?

Why is it that I will answer my phone, for the 12th time today, and let a fellow AA member just talk because they want to pick up that drink?

Why is it that I will drive to Broken Bow and miss my baby's soccer game because the Red Cross just dispatched a family of four lost their home to a fire and needs shelter assistance?

Why is it that I will stay up until 1:00 a.m. talking to my friend on her way home from college so she doesn't fall asleep, even though I have to be to work at 5:00 a.m.?

Why is it that I will drive five hours to speak with my Senator in person on why those with disabilities deserve the same things as those without disabilities?

The answer is actually pretty genius. And last time I checked, my name was not Albert Einstein.

The answer: BECAUSE I MAKE TIME

I commit to things that are important to me. But why am I not committed to me? Giving myself to others gives me a sense of purpose. Like I'm making a difference. However, what good is that difference if I'm no longer here because I maxed out my high blood pressure medication at age 30 and experienced a stroke? Leaving me with the inability to ever be able to give of myself anymore?

Whoa. Newsflash Julie. It could happen.

So, self commitment 101 was born today! Be committed. Give, give, give. Give til your heart is content. But don't forget about Julie. Ask someone to cover your 911 for a round of golf. Have supper with a friend. Schedule that trip to Washington D.C. that you've always wanted to take Kyle on. Go to bed early. Catch up on the book you started last summer. Go to Grandma's and make a quilt for yourself. Watch every episode of Grey's Anatomy in one day. Whatever it takes to commit to just you every now and then.

Make time for yourself.
You'll be a better person for it. And really, don't we all just want to be a better person than we were yesterday?

COMMIT. TO. ME. MYSELF. AND. I.

YOU ARE THE MISSING PIECE.

Much love,
mdmom


1 comment: